Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Mission City Coffee Roasting

Location: 2221 The Alameda, Santa Clara

There is another location (not reviewed) at 4300 Great America Parkway, Santa Clara

Reviewed: January 17, 2006

Espresso: My single shot was served in a ~3oz cup, although it was the proper ~1oz volume. However, there was no crema whatsoever; neither was there much taste.

Atmosphere: Mission City is a large shop near Santa Clara University. It is laid out in the corner of a building, and so the 'dining area' is somewhat L-shaped. There are brick walls, local artists' work, and random paint spatters on the concrete floor (Jackson Pollock-esque?).

Verdict: It is amazing to me how the coffee can be so stale at a place that roasts its own.

1 comment:

espressophile said...

April 4, 2006

I stopped in at the location on Great America Parkway. The shop is quite small, and I was suprised that it also has an in-store roaster. Nonetheless, the beans in the grinder hopper appeared very old and oily. My "single" (which I suspect was really a double) was given to me in a 12oz paper cup, and fortunately wasn't more than about 2 or 3 oz (hard to tell in that cup). The crema was pale and thin, and the predominant taste was burnt and tarry. Of note, the barista tamped and ground my shot, although I, once again, managed to get in when the doser was empty and they turned it on for my shot.