Monday, July 24, 2006

Ritual Coffee Roasters

Location: 1026 Valencia St., San Francisco

Reviewed: July 24, 2006

Espresso: My double was served in a properly-sized ceramic cup. The crema was mostly dark, but it had a paler stripe running through the center of the cup. This didn't seem to affect the taste much, however; it was well-balanced, medium-bodied, and had quite a bit of brightness. There were caramelly tastes mixed with a hint of walnut. The barista ground individually and tamped properly. It was about 2oz. total volume.

Atmosphere: Ritual is located in the Mission District and the atmosphere caters to the "urban hipster" types so typical in this area. The interior, although large and open and light, consists of a number of well-worn couches and contains slightly rectangular tables that are much larger than the more typical round style in most coffeeshops. It is very crowded.

Verdict: In a reverse of normal from what I frequently find, the coffee is very good, but the location is not really to my liking.

1 comment:

espressophile said...

I went again yesterday and found that I felt more comfortable in the environment. I am not going to speculate as to why this is, but in any case, I probably will consider the atmosphere of the shop in a more positive light from now on.